Monday, November 9, 2009

Backtrack

While the blog is to keep everyone updated, I'd also like for it to be a journal of sorts for Mom to see later and hopefully to be able to write her own thoughts and experiences when she is feeling better so I hope any readers are OK with some personal experiences and thoughts along the way. There were a few things I wanted to add that happened before we got the blog up that I wanted to remember...

When Mom was first brought to the hospital she was the one who was most stable so she was bumped to the end of the surgery list, plus she was having multiple surgeries. Dad wasn't gonna leave mom so the kids split up taking care of Dad. I (Brooke) got to stay with them the first night. In the daily grind I forgot how selfless my mom is but I was reminded of it constantly that night. For the first part every time Mom would wake up the first words out of her mouth were out of concern for who she might have hurt. At first she thought she was on the bus and that she had hurt the kids. Then she was afraid that she was in the car and when she saw me she was afraid that she's had her grand kids with her, after that she was asking about the other guy involved. A lot of the time she talked about her family and how much she loved us and while there are some very personal experiences that happened that are inappropriate to share in a blog there are a few "Donna-isms" I don't want to forget. Mom would wake up for literally 15-45 seconds and then sleep for the same span of time. Often we would have to repeat information that we had just told her 60 seconds ago. These are prime examples of why Donna, drugs, and concussions don't mix:

#1
Wakes up
Mom: "Did you ride in the ambulance with me?"
Dad: "No, you were life flighted in a helicopter."
Mom: "I was?! Oh, I missed it!"
Out cold
Repeated about 3 times then,
Mom: "Oh I remember!"
Brooke: "What?"
Mom: "I came on a train!"
Giggles and smiles from me and Dad.
Mom: "Oh wait... I didn't come on a train... did I? Was I on a train?"
Out Cold

#2
Wakes up
Mom: "Bevan?"
Dad jolts from head-bobbing sleep: "Yes?"
Mom: "Tell the ladies I can't make Bunco... wait can I go to Bunco?"
Out cold

#3
Wakes up
Mom looking worried: "Bevan was it my fault?"
Dad: "No, honey it wasn't your fault."
After a pause looking even more worried "Are we gonna sue? We're not suing are we?"
Out cold

#4
Wakes up
Brooke: "Mom, you were in an accident."
Mom: "I was? Was I assaulted?"
Brooke: "No mom, you were in a motorcycle accident."
Mom: "Oh, cause I made a report, and they're looking for me"
Brooke: "Who's looking for you?
Mom: "Mesquite Police"
Out cold

#5
Wakes up
Mom: "All I want, all that I wish I could have was a great big diet Pepsi."
Out cold

Later when she was a little more coherent she told me that she was having dreams all night which was crazy considering it was never more than a few seconds that her eye's would close. She kept the doctors and nurses pretty entertained with little comments she made to everything they said. She was pretty loopy!

10 comments:

Elaine said...

You guys are awesome to have this blog up. It is so nice to be able to keep track of your mom. She is one of the Best People I know. Donna and I have had a lot of laughs together. I am glad to be able to call her and your dad our friends. Let them know that we love them, and have been praying for both of them since the accident. Thanks again for keeping us posted

Shemri and Gang said...

Bishop and Donna, our hearts and prayers go out to you and we wish a speedy recovery! Jake was broken hearted this morning when the bus came to pick him up and he remembered Donna would not be there. He has been praying for her as we all have. Best wishes our thoughts our with you! Rand and Shemri

Unknown said...

That's so funny! Good Ol donna;) Love you guys!!!

amy said...

Thank you for sharing the "Donna-isms". The humor sure does help in times such as these. So glad the surgery was a success. With the Lord on her side all others will be successful too. Your mom is an amazing woman. I have been so blessed to know her and love to chat with her every chance I get. Love and prayers continue her way.
Amy

Teresa Woods said...

Thanks for the blog I giggled through the Donna-isms Soo funny Get well soon Donna. You're one of the bus drivers who will smile and wave with all those crazy kids aboard. Love ya Bevan and Donna Teresa

Just Us said...

Donna Always has been able to bring a smile to people's faces even on their worst days. She helped me alot when I rode her bus in School. I still have a note that she wrote me reminding me to always smile. What A Wonderful Woman she is. She is Such a strong woman, I know she will come through all of this just fine. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your whole Family! Stay Strong! Love You Guys!

Brianna and Family said...

Thanks for keeping us updated on the blog and if you need a place to crash, watch TV, eat or blog hop over to Joslin & Brianna's! This was so fun to read. Thanks for sharing.

Carol Johnson said...

Thank you for keeping us up to date about your Mom. She is so special to me. My heart breaks that this has happened. But it is already starting to get better. The road to recovery will be long, but I have faith in Donna. She will win these battles! I stop what I'm doing and pray many times a day for her speedy recovery!
Love, Carol & Bob Johnson

janece said...

I'm with Donna Diet Pepsi will cure just about anything!!

TamTam said...

Brooke, your mom is so lucky to have you! (So are we at WCYCC) She is going to cherish the Donnaisms when she recovers. She sounds like an amazing woman, but then she would have to be to have you for a daughter. Hang in there.